Friday, June 10, 2016

Orsi! // Hungary + Arizona Explorer



I was born and raised in Hungary and came to the United States after graduating high school. I played tennis since I was 10 years old and got an athletic scholarship to play for a Division I school, so I packed up my suit cases and left home. That was 9 years ago and even though living far away from my family and childhood friends is the hardest, I think making the move helped me improve a lot as a person.  


But first, let’s go back in time a little bit.  

Growing up I was a very shy child. I was fighting a big amount of anxiety that made each day miserable. To help me take my mind off worrying, my mom pushed me towards being involved in different sports and outdoor activities.

I loved being outside, it was my happy place. I remember that my friends and I spent any given moment playing soccer, hide and seek, or just laying down in the grass and looking at the clouds trying to find animal shaped ones. 

When I was 10 years old, my mom signed me up for tennis and that changed all of our lives. I fell in love with the sport in a minute. My passion and dedication resulted in us having to move cities and traveling to more and more tournaments. We were on the road almost every weekend that not only helped me make friends from all over the country but also showed me many interesting places that I have never seen before.

I got very nervous about my matches sometimes but I still loved being on the road because we got to go to either a new place or an old one that I loved very much. When I was nervous about school, I went to practice and trained as hard as I could, when I was nervous about tennis I went to hike or bike with my parents to calm down. When the crazy days got overwhelming, I went down to the river and walked a couple miles in silence and let my thoughts untangle them.


Forwarding a couple years, I was standing at the airport in Hungary, hugging my family and saying goodbyes and I was more scared that I have ever been before. I didn’t know where I was going, I barely spoke the language and I had no idea how I was going to survive what was ahead of me.

I arrived to a new place far away from my safe base and had to start over everything. Nothing was familiar anymore, except for one thing: playing tennis. School started up again, tennis season kicked in and even though I was 9000 miles away from home, we did the same exact thing. We hopped in the car on the weekends and got on the road to play tennis; plus, we saw lots of new places. 

I was lucky enough to travel the West Coast, the East Coast, and spend a couple years in the Midwest as well. When I felt nervous again I went for a hike, I woke up early and watched the sunrise by the ocean, I went to learn yoga outside in the sun, strolled to a creek to sit in quiet and listen to the water and find my inner peace again.  


Things change. Actually at some point, everything changes and it sometimes scares me more than anything. We get older, we lose friends and friendships, we move away, we graduate and all of a sudden everything we have known and felt safe around disappears. 

After graduation I had a hard time finding myself again. Competitive tennis was gone from my life in a blink of an eye and everything I had known and was good at was not there for me anymore.

 But again.

 Even if I am in the Midwest, or live on the West Coast, there is always outside and many wonderful things to discover. Even if all that changes the one constant thing I can always find peace in is there . . . to go and find my outdoor peace spot where I can sit in quiet and see what is next. Once I am in that clear state of mind, the answer just comes to me. 

So this is my story. I am very honored to be part of the Pangea Explorer Club because they represent what I believe in.

Travel followed me throughout my life and I always found an outlet and peace in nature that nothing else could gave me whether I was aware of it or not. 

Looking back it was always the solution to improve myself, to get better, to grow and to find peace. Leaving home was not easy; however, it pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me stronger than I have ever been before. 

I hope each one of you can find a solution here with the help of our collective effort. This team was put together with a great variety of people that serve one purpose only, to show you that there is so many wonderful things out there that are worth thriving for! 









No comments:

Post a Comment