Monday, August 22, 2016

Cole // Utah Explorer



What’s up, my name is Cole Moriarty. I was born in Northern California, moved to Southern California, then moved to Utah when I was young and have been here ever since. I’ve always had a passion for surfing, so when you’re landlocked, it’s pretty difficult to find places to surf. To cope, I started getting into hiking a little bit. When I was 12, I really got into rock climbing because of my mom’s boyfriend. It became a new passion to fill the void of not being able to surf. 


Everyone has trials and some crazy stuff they go through. In 7th grade, mine was depression due to some past experiences. I was told I needed to be on medication, but I didn’t want pills to tell me that I was okay. That’s when I really started to appreciate being in nature and my attachment with American Fork Canyon grew an insane amount because it became my second home. Whether I was with friends, by myself, happy, sad,  anything, AF Canyon was my favorite place to be. 

From that I’ve really come to appreciate the beautiful places Pangea has to offer. When I was 16 I went on a service trip to Fiji and Tonga for a month. I mowed lawns, knocked on doors, did whatever I could to get enough money to go. It was incredible.


I started looking for more opportunities, but none presented themselves until last year. I was able to go to Nepal, a place that I’ve been obsessed with since I was little. I was there for two weeks doing service and exploring.


A few months later I was asked by a good friend to go to Kenya to help start up a charity with one of his contacts over there. So I was in Africa for a month doing service and helping get the charity started. I feel super blessed with the opportunities I’ve been given to go to such beautiful parts of the world and meet such beautiful people and cultures. 

If you ever have an opportunity to go anywhere new, whether it’s a trip your buddies are going on close by, or a trip half way across the world, find a way to make it happen. Don’t feel pressured to follow the footsteps of a society we’ve grown so comfortable with.


Don’t go to college for the fear of disappointing parents and those around you, don’t get a mediocre job doing something you aren’t passionate about. If going to college is something you want to do, then do it. But if you live your life according to other people, and not what you truly want, you may be successful, but you may not feel fulfilled and truly happy.


I’m 20 years old and just starting college, but I took necessary time for myself to figure out what it is I need to be happy and to be able to look back when I’m old and feel I lived a fulfilled life true to myself. I’m not saying don’t go to college, wait to go to college, or you should go to college, but honestly ask yourself if what you’re doing right now is the best path for your happiness.

Whether you think I’m crazy, annoying, or choose to take my advice, keep on exploring and stay safe!

Thank you Nellie and Pangea Explorers Club for such a genuine company. 




No comments:

Post a Comment