Thursday, August 11, 2016

Ryanne // Solo Trip to Eager, Arizona

“Why are you alone?

That is the question I was asked at least a dozen times on my recent solo trip to Eager, Arizona. Not only was it an unknown self-discovery trip, but one of the best decisions of my life. During my visit, I stayed in a cabin, not too big, not too small, on the outskirts of Eager. It was a rather scary place at night, being all alone up there, but eventually the night became a very welcoming part of my stay.


Each day I would visit somewhere or do something new. Whether it was a different cafe where no one knew who I was or different shops with unique signs that would draw my eye and, often, I would find myself in the oddest of places that I normally would not have ventured to; the whole experience was exuberating and freeing.

One place I particularly enjoyed was a very small fossil museum just outside of Eager called Spingerville. A sign was posted outside their door describing a new dinosaur exhibit. My inner T-Rex/Velociraptor loving self-took over from there. It was an empty place and only had two paleontologists present. One was an older woman and the other was a teenage boy. I must have been there for an hour or two now that I think about it.

I learned that the boy, Christopher Wolfe, had discovered the dinosaur Zuniceratops Christopheri, when he was only 8 years old (and it was even named after him)! He was featured on Jay Leno’s, The Tonight Show and a few other series of interview shows! I was able to have a very nice chat with him and his mother, the owner of the museum, and was sure to take a quick pic of him with a few of the fossils he discovered! It’s so incredible what is hidden in such a small place and how easy it is to stumble upon something this amazing and unique. 

On this trip, I kayaked for the first time at Big Lake and boy am I hooked now! The young gentleman who worked at the marina and set the kayak up for me of course asked why I was by myself etc... And somehow this boy and I became friends after talking for a while about this trip. As it turns out he had never left that area before and didn't know of many other cities and their names outside of the White Mountains. I wish I got his name but do hope to return soon and find him again.

Another unexpected friend I made was the RV park owner of Big Lake. I got out of my car on the side of the road to take some pictures of the Aspens. Suddenly I heard someone shout, “Take my picture!” I actually did take his picture as soon as I turned around to see who was actually yelling this. We had a very nice chat too and he gave me an interesting lesson about some of the infected trees, how they solve the problem of the dying trees and even told me what one the park rangers that drove by did for his job. I will certainly not forget this kind old man anytime soon.


Amongst a few trails that I researched, Thompson Trail was my utmost favorite. According to a few of the rangers, it’s the least popular trail for visitors, and not one ranger was happy at the fact that I was going alone. One even gave me a quick lesson on what to do if someone were to attack me on the trail. 

I got very lucky and ended up being the only one on the trail during my hike. Except for this older couple that I gave a scare to, I hopped off the trail and climbed down the side of the ledge to get a good shot of the river. As I was climbing up, (I was using my arms to crawl up as it was rather steep) this couple walked right by and the man yelled and jumped so high, his wife and I could not stop laughing. We visited for a while, and I learned that Steve and Brandy were from Prescott and they are frequent visitors to this area.
  
As we parted ways and while I gathered my backpack, ready to continue, I heard the man mumble, “You don't see that every day”, and for some reason that made my heart so happy and light. The rest of the hike was breathtaking and I can say for sure, that pictures do its beauty little justice. 

This trip taught me so many incredible lessons that may be of benefit to everyone. One, take the time and explore your surroundings. As I said before, there are so many hidden treasures and adventures right outside the door. All you have to do is step out.

Two, some strangers are not danger. Okay I’m not saying to trust all strangers and avoid the obvious bad ones, but rather meet new people actually have a conversation with them and I guarantee you will not regret it as it also helps build character, breaking certain shy traits, and making new friends in unknown places.

Finally, three, it’s okay to be alone. Personally I prefer to do and go everywhere alone. It seems to be a taboo idea, especially for trips, but it’s such an amazing experience. Being alone in a new place makes you discover who you really are, what you really like (not what your friends/surrounding peers like) and can clear your mind in such an indescribable way.


Thank you for taking the time to read about my little adventure and I hope it sparked some wanderlust in you :) I love being a part of the Pangea Explorers Club and I look forward to some more exploring soon.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment